You need to be visible to attract customers, right? But how do you get that visibility when you?re short on cash? Here?s an idea that?s worked for many businesses. It?s postcard marketing, and it?s very affordable.
You can design your own postcards or hire a designer. Print the cards on 67 card stock to meet USPS requirements. Two or four cards will fit on an 8 ?? x 11? sheet so you?ll have to use a paper cutter. Postage is just .23 a card.
Here are some ways to use postcards:
- REFERRALS - Send postcards regularly to your best contacts asking for referrals.
- ANNOUNCE EVENTS ? Send postcards to let folks know about events like classes, seminars, sales, open houses, etc.
- PROSPECTING ? Send a series of postcard mailings to identified prospects to ?soften them up? before you phone them.
- BUILD WEBSITE TRAFFIC ? Use postcard mailings to tell people your site is there and when you make significant additions.
- GROW YOUR NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIBER LIST ? Postcard mailings can publicize your newsletter to new audiences.
- MAKE AN OFFER - Do you have a booklet to give away? Are you offering a special discount? Postcard mailings can get out the word.
- SAY THANKS ? Use postcards to say thank you for business, referrals, or information.
Of course, for best results you need a good list. Make sure your mailings are going to the right people. Also, you?ll get a better response if you offer something of value.
Finally, repeat, repeat, repeat! As with any marketing, repetition is critical. A single mailing may get a disappointing result. Don?t be surprised or discouraged. Keep at it with a consistent look, message and audience, and over time your message will sink in.
A response rate of 1-3 is the average, but you may be able to generate significant sales from those responses. Referral mailings can yield business that?s three or more times the cost of the mailing.
Copyright 2004 Clairvoyant Communications, Inc.
Short note about the author
Claire Cunningham, president of Clairvoyant Communications, Inc., has 20+ years? experience developing and implementing successful marketing and communications programs. Sign up for Claire?s monthly newsletter, Communiqu , at http://www.clairvoyantcommunications.com Claire can be reached at 763-479-3499 (Fax: 763-479-2809, e-mail: email@example.com)