A little trick I like to use to make my days much more pleasant is
to find little, simple pleasures and sprinkle them throughout my day.
They’re not big things, but they each simple pleasure can translate to a great day if you use them right.
So in the morning, I might have a cup of coffee, and sip it slowly
to enjoy it fully. I might read a gripping novel, and revel in the
world of fiction. I might watch the sun come up, and marvel at the
world in pastel hues.
For breakfast, I might put berries on my cereal … and I just love
berries. I savor each one, closing my eyes. In the shower, I might also
close my eyes, and just let the cool water run over me (I live on a
tropical island, so cool water is a nice thing).
You get the idea — these are little things, and don’t really
cost a thing (or not much, anyway), but they are tremendously satisfying.
I’ve just described some of the things I might do to start off my day,
but the possibilities are endless, and can be done throughout the day.
I thought it would be fun to compile a list of simple pleasures, to
give you all some ideas of what I mean, and to spark other ideas of
your own. Of course, you can probably come up with a thousand more, and
it should also be noted that one person’s pleasures aren’t always
pleasures for others.
- Berries … mmmm.
- Walking barefoot in grass.
- Listening to good music in the car.
- Taking a long, relaxing shower.
- A good novel.
- Popcorn and an old movie on DVD.
- The smell of fresh-cut grass.
- Watching the sunrise.
- Walking on the beach.
- A gentle morning run.
- Yoga or stretching or meditation.
- Snuggling in bed with your partner.
- Watching the sunset.
- Hugging your child tightly.
- Good wine.
- Dark chocolate.
- Dancing like you’re crazy.
- Telling jokes till your sides ache.
- A long conversation with a good friend.
- Root beer float.
- Kissing in the rain.
- Being lazy on a Sunday.
- Waking to a clean house.
- An uncluttered room.
- Banana split.
- Pillow fights.
- Fries and a chocolate milkshake.
- Singing in the shower, loudly.
- Dancing in the rain and stomping in puddles.
- Watching your child play.
- Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies.
- Helping someone in need.
- Making someone smile.
- Homemade pie.
- A nature hike.
- Laying back and watching the stars.
- Making a sandcastle.
- Floating in the water.
- Taking an afternoon nap.
- Serving your spouse a surprise breakfast in bed.
- Watching your children on Christmas morning.
- Laying back and looking up at clouds.
- Watching the ocean.
- Getting a massage.
- Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- PB&J sandwich.
- Iced green tea.
- Playing footsie.
- Acting crazy in public.
- Seeing your savings account grow.
- Seeing your debt shrink.
- Taking a hot bath.
- Blowing bubbles.
- A gentle breeze.
- The feeling after a good workout.
- Checking something off your to-do list.
- Snuggling together under the covers on a stormy day.
- Coen brother movies.
- Watching your kids play soccer.
- Playing a good game of basketball.
- The smell of a new Moleskine notebook.
- Writing on good paper with a good pen.
- A clear desk.
- Fresh popped popcorn.
- A fresh snow.
- Swinging on a swing.
- Homemade strawberry shortcake.
- Watching animals in nature.
- An empty email inbox.
- Playing hooky.
- A very slow and sensual night with your partner.
- Staying up all night talking.
- Having a picnic.
- Swimming at night.