How to Train Children for Essay Writing
Parents are usually concerned about the development of skills of their children. These skills can be literal, mathematical or any other relating to academics. Despite of all the hard work and grooming initiatives, children usually grow up to be weak at essay writing. Reason for it can be lack of awareness about essays. Here we present a simple guideline for parents to train children write their own essays and do not let them order from any online help with essay service.
Here are a set of few tips for each level of their age to make them good writers by the time they need to be.
Initial Years of Schooling
When a child starts up with his school life, here is the point where the slow process of becoming an expert essay writer begins. To be a brilliant essay writer is not matter of days. It requires grooming and guidance for years, and the outcome is proficient writer who is able to write on any topic and can adopt a suitable style and is able to develop own style of writing which is unique.
In the initials years of schooling:
- Let them form sentences and phrases, if they do it wrong, point out the mistake and tell them in an encouraging way.
- Tell them alternatives of any new word they learn.
- Praise them when they come up with anything creative.
- Always ask them to write about any new experience they had, and if they are still too young to write, talk about their experiences with them. It helps them to have power of expression.
- Always keep telling them about general facts.
Secondary Years of School
Once the primary school phase has passed, time to groom them up practically. A child must be very expressive and efficient by this age. Essays must have become an integral part of their academic life. However, level of language and information is not much higher. This is the time where they actually learn to be creative.
In the Secondary Years of Schooling:
- Focus on development of reading habits, whether it is reading novels, newspapers, magazines or journals.
- Keep an eye on what they read. Check if they are reading quality content or not, because bad content may mold their style of writing the same way.
- Always ensure they have an updated dictionary. Tell them about lingual updates and give them material to read which you find useful.
- Limit their access to internet, websites and forums that are constructive only.
At High School
When your child reaches high school, he must be a good writer by this time. If not, you have been failed to train them.
In high school:
- Tell them about the real essence of essay writing, techniques, types and structure etc.
- Make their reading habits as vast as it can be.
- Provide them with the best environment at home which polishes and enhances their ability of expression through words.
- Maintain a small library come study area at home where they can sit peacefully and write their heart and mind out.
- Keep reading and encouraging them to write.
All that we have discussed here are the responsibilities of teachers, but a good parent has to be an all-rounder. Reading with your child, whatever age they are, is a helpful habit.
Megan Max is a house wife and a mother of two. She shares her parenting experiences through her articles. She was the managing director of a leading software house, but quit her job to raise her kids with full attention. Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest