Due to the huge health hazards associated with obesity, it is important for those who are overweight to try and lose weight, and get back into shape. Arguably more importantly is that when doing this, they do it in a safe manner. Through this article, I will try and guide you in ideas and methods to lose weight safely!
Okay, to lose weight, calories used per day by the body needs to be greater than calories consumed per day. Below is a variety of ways to help you on your way!
• Firstly, during your everyday life, you can take lots of small easy steps to help burn some extra calories. Rather than taking the lift/elevator/escalator, take the stairs, although this is minor, through the week, it all adds up. This is probably the easiest of all methods to implement into your day to day life. This method itself is unlikely to help you shed lots of pounds, but in conjunction with other small ideas for example get off at a bus stop ahead of your desired destination, and walk the final leg of your journey, or even better, cycle the whole of your journey while following a few of the tips on eating below, and you should find yourself losing weight in no time.
• This is obvious, but you should try to cut down on fatty foods, fast food is a huge culprit for clogging up your arteries with cholesterol and piling on the pounds. For example, there are several fast food meals that contain over a whopping 1000 calories, to put this into perspective, women should eat 2000 calories a day, and men 2,500! So that’s nearly half of your daily calorie allowance in one meal that is not even likely to sustain your hunger for more than a couple of hours and so should be avoided. Also when shopping, when buying low-fat products, you should be careful to look at the nutritional information, quite commonly the food manufacturers replace the fat with sugar. Excess sugar that is not needed by the body is converted into glycogen and is stored as fat.
• Avoid fizzy drinks e.g. coca cola, these drinks are packed with sugar and as a result contain loads of calories, replace these with healthier drinks such as water and you'll find yourself cutting back on lots of calories, as well as saving your teeth and some extra cash.
• Try and do at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days of the week, this could just be a walk round the local park, football in the garden with friends, or a gentle game of tennis. The goal for losing weight is to use more calories than you consume, this exercise will help you on your way.
• Around 50-60% of your daily calories are recommended to come from carbohydrates. Try to make as many of these from foods that are high in complex starchy carbohydrates, opposed to sugary carbohydrates.
• Be sure to watch you portion size, often portion sizes are much smaller than you'd expect, if you are counting calories, be sure to only eat the portion size that it recommends, otherwise take into account the extra calories that will be consumed by the large serving.
• When you feel you need a snack, rather than reaching for a snickers or a couple of biscuits, replace these high calorie snacks with some fruit. Not only will you eat fewer calories, but you will also consume vitamins and minerals which the body requires.
• Personally, I do not recommend diet pills; this is due to negative side affects that some will produce. Furthermore there is no guarantee that you will lose a noticeable amount of weight, and there is a good chance that you will just put it straight back on.
Implement a number of the above points, and you should start to burn more calories and consume less, and in turn, lose weight! Remember the golden rule that is, to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume! A happier and healthier life awaits you.
Victor Lensora - Owner of the Awesome Health Website http://health-fitness4life.blogspot.com. Along with the brand new blog http://easy-natural-weight-loss.blogspot.com helping you with loads of tips to lose weight without endangering your health! For running tips and advice go to http://runningadvice.blogspot.com.